Monday, June 16, 2008

Over-reaction (wo)man

Do you remember those commercials (I can't remember what they were advertising) where someone responded irrationally to something and they said, "OVER-REACTION MAN!!". I felt like that today.

There is a new guy on our team (new to our team, not to Target) and he's struggling a bit. Since February I have been filling in for someone that was let go, and this guy is the replacement, so I've been transitioning the project to him over the past couple weeks. Well I heard about something he did last Thursday when I was out of the office that was NOT COOL at all so in the spirit of Target-style feedback, I approached him this afternoon to provide the feedback. Here is how our conversation went:

Me: Hi ___! How was your weekend?? (I'm warming up)
Him: It was GREAT!
Me: Awesome! What happened?
Him: We bought a house! (they just moved here from Kansas)
Me: Great!
Him: And we sold our house in Kansas!
Me: Wow- that's awesome!
Him: AND we found out we're having another baby! It was a shocker!

And there it was. I literally felt like I was punched in the stomach.

Me: Oh wow, congratulations! So.. she must be due in February?
Him: No, March!
Me: (Thinking very hard on how in hell it could be biologically possible to have found out that you're having a baby in March).
Me: (continuing to think) well, congratulations, I'll see you tomorrow. (walk away. feedback will be provided tomorrow instead).

SERIOUSLY?! He has a 2 year old and a 4 year old and was shocked to find out just this weekend that they're having another. Um-- can we just have one, please?! (actually, I would love twins but would definitely take one for now).

So, yeah, that's my overreaction. I told Josh the story and he couldn't understand why it hit me so hard. I guess it's because I'm just going on with my day, minding my own business, and BAM! I am told that someone is having a surprise baby. It stings.

(You may be wondering why I am posting this on the internet. 1) not many people have access to this site, and 2) I started journeling with an actual pen and paper prior to my miscarriage and since then haven't been able to return to that journal. Until I am pregnant again, this blog has become my journal and it is theurapeutic for me to reflect and get my thoughts down).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whitney~ You're not overreacting! Feelings are feelings and you can't help them- go with it. I continue to pray for you and Josh and just this morning when Jere and I were doing our morning coffee talk I said "I have a feeling the Dockens will be expecting soon".
Much love!
Gina

Bethany said...

Awww, Whit, I love you! I'm so sorry you are going through this!!!!!!!! some things are just so hard to understand!???? I don't blame you for feeling bad when you talked to that guy!
love you
praying for you!
b