Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Help is on the way

I took Claire to see the pediatrician today. She has been throwing up at least once, if not multiple times, per day. Not just a little spit up... more like an entire feeding or even multiple feedings. Sometimes it just comes out and sometimes it's forceful. She also appears very uncomfortable. Her tummy becomes hard as a rock and she grunts and screams a lot. The pediatrician said that she would be concerned that she had a blockage (not sure what that is) if she was throwing up after every feeding or if the forcefullness worsened. For now she prescribed Zantac (spelling?). If she isn't feeling better by Monday we are supposed to go back. This was the first public outing just the two of us. She was very unhappy at the Ped's office. She fell asleep in the car after her appointment so I was able to go to Wells Fargo to have her form for her birth certificate notarized and to Target to fill her prescription. She slept through the whole thing! I was so relieved. I just envisioned her screaming at Target and not being able to console her quickly.

Oh, for the fun part... guess what her weight was today? 7 lbs 1 oz! Such a big girl! :) She gained 9 ounces in 9 days. I read that newborns should gain about an ounce per day so I guess she is textbook perfect! I can't believe she's gone from 4 lbs 13 oz to 7 lbs 1 oz in 3 weeks! That's a 48% increase! Babies are supposed to double their weight by the time they are 4 or 5 months old. I bet Claire does it much quicker than that!

Monday night she slept from 11:15PM until 4:40AM!!! I got FIVE hours of straight, uninterrupted sleep! It felt glorious. Last night however was not that great. I would be surprised if I got three hours in total. But those cuddle sessions in the middle of the night are pretty priceless. I just love her so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

7 pounds 1 oz is the exact weight of her daddy when he was born!! Grandma Annie says