Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Meaning what we say

"How are you?"

"Good, how are you?"

"Good, thanks."

.........

"Did you have a good weekend?"

"Yes, I did.  How about you?"

"Yeah, it was great."

........

How many times a day do we have these conversations?  I have them countless times a day- they often occur in the hallway at work as I'm passing co-workers or other team members on the floor.  Or in emails.  And you know what?  Virtually every single time I'm having a crappy day or a nice day, the conversation looks the same.  We say we're "great" or we're "good" and the other person says the same, and we're both left with a completely surface conversation void of any meaning.  I changed it up a bit yesterday.  Each of the dozen or so times I was asked how my weekend was, I said something like, "it was great overall but I was unhappy with the weather on Saturday", and I could tell I caught some people off guard by my non-standard response. 

I've been thinking lately that it seems the phrase "I'll be praying for you", or "you're in my thoughts and prayers", or "I'll say a prayer for you" or "I'm praying for _____ (insert good weather, Japan, safe travels, a good night sleep for those of us with little ones, etc etc) has become a phrase that is often said with just as much meaning as "how are you? good, how are you?".   Sometimes I can't help but wonder, really? are you really praying for such and such or so and so?  Or is this just a phrase that we throw around?

I'm not saying this with an ounce of judgment.  It's just an observation that I have made about our society in general.  I'm sure many people who use the "p" word really mean it. 

I try to use this phrase carefully.  If I tell you I am praying for you, you can rest assured that I mean it. I will honestly put a plea before Jesus on your behalf.  If I think I may not pray for something, I won't say that I will.  It's so comforting to me to know that other brothers and sisters are praying for me, especially during trying times in my life.  I want others to take the same comfort with knowing that I am honest to goodness praying for them. 

Because prayer works.  It's not just a statement that we can throw around like other casual greetings.  I've seen it work countless times....

In so many ways during and after my parents' divorce.
During our journey with infertility and miscarriage.
During times of fear.
In my career.
In my brother's life.
In my mom's life.
And in so many other ways.


What do you think?  Has this become an occasionally empty promise? Will you join me in trying to keep it full of rich and powerful meaning? 

3 comments:

Bethanie said...

Social norms, what a fascinating thing to really sit down and think about!
It's interesting that you bring this up because I was just thinking about that again last week as I wrote in a coworker's card whose husband had just passed away. I know that every time I write an email or in a card that "I'm praying for you", I stop and really think about it before writing it and so if I end up writing it, I really do mean it and I do it right then and there.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing the other day, Whitney. I struggle with saying/writing "I'll pray for you" versus "I sure hope that..." Mostly, I want the recipient of the comment to know that I'm a Christian, and even if I don't pray specifically that I have a faith and trust that God will work the situation to their favor.

SM said...

Very thought provoking. It really depends on who's asking. If it is someone close I usually say how I"m really doing. If not, I go with the "fine". Which is not always true. I'm going to try something new on this and see what happens. When people tell me to "have a great day" I often say "that's the plan until someone screws it up". Not sure they find the humor, but I do.
As for the "P" word I think people say it and don't always do it. NO judegment from me either on this one. They might mean to do it and forget or prayer isn't part of their daily routine so it just doesn't happen. If I say "you're in my thoughts" you are. If I say "I'm praying for you" I am. We have a time in our church service where we ask people to name aloud their "Joys and Concerns" and then the whole church prays for them in that moment. I rarely voice mine outloud, but I always use this time to pray for people in my life who asked for prayers or I said I would pray for. I also think about others and pray while I'm driving. Thanks for brining this up. It gives me more to think about.
Sue