Saturday, June 15, 2013

Splash Park and SingleMomHood

My close friend Laurie recently resigned from a very successful career as a District Manager for an apparel store to stay home with her two young boys.  I am super happy for her and happy for me because it means we can periodically hang out on my Fridays off!  Yesterday she met us at our favorite splash park.  The weather was perfect and one of the first sunny/warm days this summer.


 photo DSC_1415_zps5d5d1892.jpg


 photo DSC_1416_zps2508ce7f.jpg

Baby Cameron.
 photo DSC_1419_zpsbb929f0d.jpg

 photo DSC_1420_zps054f818a.jpg

 photo DSC_1421_zps4afbcd26.jpg

 photo DSC_1423_zps2b93a207.jpg

Max was in his happy place.
 photo DSC_1425_zps947cb59a.jpg


 photo DSC_1426_zps3a0e8268.jpg

We took a break to enjoy a picnic lunch.  Seriously, these are the days that I dream of the entire year.  Sun, happy and well-behaved kids, good friends-- pretty much perfect.
 photo DSC_1428_zps330b77be.jpg


Josh arrived home safely today from India.  I was a single-mom for the past 9 days (5 of which I was with the kids the entire morning, noon and night.  Going to work the other four days felt like a break!) and just as I suspected, I have renewed respect for single parents.  All in all, the kids behaved wonderfully.  There was that one Sunday that I thought I was going to either lose my mind or my soul. But the other eight days were great.  Yes, I did have to take a few tylenol almost every night after bath and bedtime, but that's probably a coincidence, right?   Honestly, it actually felt refreshing to have no focus other than the children.  We did lots of fun things- went to the cabin, played at the park, picked up froyo and ate it on our driveway, walked to Uncle Chris and Aunt Becky's house and played outside, went to the splash park, grilled dinner at Aunt Bethanie and Uncle Barry's (with Auntie Heather too), spent a lot of time playing outside our house and walking the neighborhood, and got haircuts all around.  These children are so precious to me!

Yesterday I was preparing dinner and Max walked up to me in the kitchen.  He brought me a cup of coffee from his kitchen (his favorite thing to do), looked up at me with his big eyes and said in the sweetest little voice, "Mommy, I'm going to EAT you.  And BITE your head....and FROW it in the WEFRIGERATOR!!"

Needless to say, I slept with one eye open last night.

No comments: