Monday, August 31, 2009

The purpose of life from a grieving father's perspective

There's a blog I follow from a woman that I 'met' on a message board for infertility. She got pregnant with triplets via in-vitro fertilization and delivered them at 25 weeks and 5 days . They were all doing incredibly well until one of the triplets, Annaleigh, passed away last week at 2 months of age from a sudden stomach disease. Her sister Lily and brother Charlie are thriving. The Daddy wrote a eulogy that he delivered at Annaleigh's funeral. He also posted it on the blog. One part of the eulogy has been on my mind for a few days now. He wrote:

Eight weeks of life is just too short. It makes me think about what the point of life is at all. That’s a hard question to think about when you’re of clear and sound mind, but to think about it at a time like this is just unfair. But I think I’ve come up with an answer to that question anyway.

The way I see it, there are three points to life:
1. To love and be loved.
2. To prove you can make it on your own.
3. To have babies of your own.

It's interesting to me that a couple that struggled with infertility and had to do in-vitro to get pregnant would think that one of the three points of life is to have a baby of your own, but that's not my point. What strikes me about his observation is the brevity of it. You see, this man does not believe in God nor eternal life. To me, the only thing worse than losing your newborn baby is to not be able to reach out in desperation to your Lord and Savior for his neverending peace and comfort and to not trust that your precious baby is with Jesus in Heaven and will be reunited with you very soon. Can you imagine? I am so sad for this family. I am so sad that they lost their beautiful two month old daughter. I am even more sad that they don't have a relationship with Jesus Christ. I simply cannot imagine surviving that tragic loss without Him.
http://threecheersforbabies.blogspot.com/

No comments: