Saturday, November 13, 2010

How it's been

It's been almost two weeks since Max entered our world, on the outside.  While both Claire and Max are napping (oh these are cherished times!!) I thought I would write a quick update.

So far, it's gone really well, considering.  It's been SO SO wonderful to have all four of us at home.  I really wish Josh could be home my entire maternity leave but bills need to be paid so he'll be returning to work on the 23rd.  It's been so special to have this time with him.  He is an amazing father and husband.  I don't know if we've ever spent this much time together! 

Max is a terrific baby.  He's very chill, unlike how his big sister was as a baby!  By this point, Claire was already screaming for multiple hours a day and it was exhausting and overhwhelming.  Max, on the other hand, typically only cries when he's hungry or wants to be held.  Thankfully his woes can be cured by feeding or cuddling.  He continues to be an amazing nurser. I am so pleased with how both my body and Max are doing in the nursing department.  It's just a night and day difference from last time.  Claire was also a good nurser and I was fortunate to not have many issues at all, but the first 6 weeks or so can be tough in terms of pain, discomfort, and just your body regulating its supply and demand.  But not this time!  My body is acting like it never stopped nursing last April when Claire was weaned.  It's truly a gift to not have to struggle in this department at all.   That said, he wants to eat ALL THE TIME.  He probably nurses every 30 minutes-3 hours, depending on whether he's sleeping.  But I'll take a nursing baby over a screaming baby any day.

At Max's 2 week check-up (which was on his 11th day of life, so a bit early), he weighed 7 lbs 4 oz and was 20 inches long.  The length confuses me because he was 19 inches in the hospital. I told this to the nurse so she re-measured him and we saw he is in fact 20 inches.  But I also saw them measure Max in the hospital and they were also very precise in arrving at the 19 inches.  Could he really have grown an entire inch in 11 days?!?!   He's in the 25th percentile all around.  His 2 week check-up was held on his actual due date so he would have been bigger had he been born on time.

Claire is doing well as a big sister.  She's enjoying having both Mommy and Daddy at home.  She's been very whiny lately and it can drive us crazy.  I'm hoping I can attribute it to teething, not feeling well (she had a stomach bug and was constipated this week) or adapting to having a baby brother at home.

Speaking of sickness, we all had it this past week.  First Claire, then me, and then Josh.  Not fun!  It is miserable to take care of a newborn all night with a 101.5 degree fever.  I was so weak that it was difficult to hold his little 7 lb body.  My main concern though was Max.  I was up almost the entire night on Monday and spent hours praying for his protection and safety.  Praise the Lord that he didn't get sick!!  Fortunately we are all better now.  Except for Claire, who is still dealing with constipation- poor girl.  You never know how blessed you are to have good health until it's taken away!

Well Sarah and Erik are on their way down for a visit and to meet Max (they are braving our first big snowstorm- he must be pretty special!).  It's been so fun to have our friends and family meet our newest addition.  They all seem to think he's pretty adorable-- and they love his hair! 

1 comment:

Annie Docken said...

So good to hear the updates! So sad about little Claire!