Saturday, November 5, 2011

Max at 12 months (and bon voyage)

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go, I'm standing here outside your door....

I leave in the morning for Asia.  I'm glad it's here because I've been thinking about it for so long and I'm ready to experience this great adventure and then return home to my babies (and hubby).  The not-so-good news is that Josh is ill.  He spent about 3 1/2 hours last night getting physically sick in the bathroom, while I laid awake praying for and worrying about him.  Neither of us feel great today, although he feels worse than me.  What's harder than taking care of two little people for 12 days by yourself?  Doing it while being sick.  What's even worse?  Doing it while the kids are sick too.  Right now is the ONLY time in the past 6 weeks that BOTH Claire and Max are healthy, and I am praying, praying, praying that it stays that way while I'm gone. 

I took many international trips between the ages of 16 and 21 (three to Ukraine (including Hungary one of those times), one to England and Scotland, one to Norway and Sweden, one to France where I studied abroad for a semester and traveled all over western Europe, one to France and England, and I think that's it) so you can safely say I had the international travel bug badly. Now I haven't traveled internationally in the past 9 years (except once to Dominican Republic, but I don't think that really counts) so I'm very excited about experiencing Asia, especially when I'm flying business class (for 16 hours! and not including the trip to Chicago) and on my company's dime.  I'll be meeting with about 13 of Tar.get's vendors, touring the port of Yantian China, touring a factory that manufactures apparel, and of course sight-seeing in Hong Kong and South Korea in the evenings and weekends. All the while thinking about my precious Claire and Max.

In other news, I thought I'd better write Max's 12 month update because he'll be nearing 13 months by the time I return!

At 12 months, Max:
  • sleeps amazingly well at night. Now that I'm not nursing him in the morning, he sleeps from about 6:45-7:00PM until 7:30ish AM, often without waking.  His naps are on the shorter side and they're still frequent (about three a day), but with 13 hours at night, I'll take shorter naps.
  • My last day of nursing was Friday, October 28th (tear....).  I feel very blessed to have been able to nurse both my babies for an entire year. Max still takes several bottles a day because he's not a fan of whole milk in the sippy cup yet and his doctor warned that we must take the bottle completely away NOW.  I'm at least going to wait until I return from Asia.
  • Is already breaking the budget with his eating. He doesn't ever want to stop!  I need to introduce more variety into his meals.  Right now he mostly eats cheese, yogurt, fruit (any kind but apples. He thinks they're too sour), bread, lunch meat, Cheerios, and oatmeal.  He does not like vegetables and just refuses to eat them, even if I serve them first.  I don't know how to make him start eating vegetables?? 
  • cruises along anything. While standing, he'll let go of an object for a second so he can grab hold of another (for example, let go of the couch so he can grab onto me). Walks while pushing toys and thinks it's absolutely hilarious. Crawls at lightning speed, especially if he's trying to reach me. He doesn't seem even close to having enough balance to stand on his own.  That's okay with me- I just don't want him to start walking while I'm gone and I think it's 99% likely he won't.
  • Is still obsessed with his mommy.  My trip will provide good bonding time for Max and Daddy.
  • Is not afraid of strangers, yet he is still a sensitive soul, as demonstrated by the tears during the attention at his birthday party.  When I discipline him ("No, Max! No biting Mommy" which he actually does when trying to give kisses), he often throws on the waterworks too.  Ah, so much like his sister.
  • Seems like a "big" boy, particularly when compared to his sister, but it turns out he's on the small side. He's in the 25th percentile for height (28.75 inches) and 25th percentile for weight (20 lbs 15 oz) and his head is in the 80th percentile, though it does look proportionate. He wears size 9 months, 12 month, and 12-18 month clothing.
  • Loves bathtime, Sesame Street (Claire had NO interest in TV at his age. In fact, she just started showing interest in TV at age 2 1/2 years), his sister, whatever toy Claire has, the dishwasher, car rides, Target, pop bottles, being outside, snuggling, the remote control, sleeping, and putting everything in his mouth.
  • He doesn't like being left behind by his sister and big cousin Brody during daycare.

No comments: