Sunday, March 25, 2012

Goodbye paci, stories, pictures, and recipe

If you ask Claire what she wants for her third birthday, she'll tell you "an iPad!".  If you ask what color, she'll say purple or pink, depending on the day.  "If it's pink, it will match my toenails!"

We decided to go with a dollhouse.  More age appropriate and easier on the budget.  After much research, I chose a Kid Kraft dollhouse.  Yes, it's gigantic, but it'll grow with her, right? :)  (and there's a PERFECT spot for it in her bedroom). 

I am off work this entire week and I decided it was the perfect time to do Operation-No-Paci-During-Sleep.  I told her that we would give the pacis to the paci fairy and she would bring a present in return.  What do you think she wanted?  Yep, an iPad.  I had to laugh, because there should be quite a few years separation between using a pacifier and using an iPad.  

We decided to give her the dollhouse for her paci present, instead of her birthday, because she'll get lots of presents at her birthday.  Josh put it together Friday morning (family day off!) and she LOVES it. 


I had very, very low expectations for this Operation.  And my expectations were met.  The first time sleeping without the paci (naptime on Friday), Claire cried for 3 1/2 hours before Josh had mercy on her and rocked her to sleep.  That night she cried for over an hour before Josh rocked her again (the start of what could have been a terribly bad habit! "But she sounds so sad when she cries!", said Josh.  She's his little sweetheart). 

On Saturday she did not cry AT ALL during naptime (bedtime was a different story).  Today, she did not cry again at naptime, and I put her to bed for the night 15 minutes ago and have not heard a peep.  SUCCESS!  I am SO happy about this.  Last October I was overwhelmed at the amount of developmental milestones I wanted Claire to hit in the next six months- potty training, big girl bed, and no more pacifier.  Now, she has met all three milestones and did so wonderfully.  I am so proud of my big girl. 


And this boy!  He is so funny lately.  He's becoming more of a toddler every day.  Each day he has new words and enjoys trying them out, over and over.  Last Thursday, his new word was "dinner". We had a mommy/son date at Chipotle while Claire was in gymnastics with Daddy.  As we waited in the (long) line, he shouted "dinner! dinner!" over and over again, in his precious little 16 month-old voice.  I wanted to eat him up.  


He always lifts his hands in the air, palms up, when asking a question.  You often see him doing that, while saying, "Daddy doh?" (daddy go?) or "Mommy doh?" or "Paci doh?".  Today he learned the word "Jaden", which is our little neighbor girl.  He walked around outside with his hands up, saying "Jaden dooooh?  Jaden dooooooh?" 

I also heard Max say "Whyyyyy??" for the first time today.  I had my back turned for a minute and Claire and Max got into a scruffle.  "Max!  Don't take my hair clip out!!"  Claire screamed.  Max screamed.  Max ran away in despair.  He ran to me, burrowed his head into my shoulders, and then pulled away, raised his hands in the air, palms up, and with the saddest look on his face said, "Whhhyyyy?  Whyyyyyy?".  It might have been the cutest thing I have seen/heard him do to date.  


Today in the car, Claire asked me to play the song "You Never Let Go".  As you might remember, it's her favorite.  

As the first verse played.... 


Even though I walk through the valley
Of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear

And even when I'm caught in the middle
Of the storms of this life
I won't turn back, I know You are near


.... Max started singing the chorus.  He enthusiastically said, "OH NO!  OH NO!  OH NO!".  I was shocked.  I did not know that he recognized this song!  I shouldn't be so surprised- he's always proving to me how smart he really is!

Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me



On Saturday, the Fords came over for dinner and playing. We had fondue, of course.  It's so fun to see our three children together.  Oh, how we love the Fords..



Claire has her own sense of style. Yesterday she insisted on wearing all of these clips.  She would not be convinced otherwise.  She got several compliments at Target, which probably will reinforce the behavior (unfortunately?).


Below she is doing a "project"- her favorite pastime.    Today Josh realized once again that he has two women in the house to nag remind him of his honey-do list.  We bought a ceiling fan nearly a year ago and he has yet to install it in Claire's room.  She decided she'd had enough, so she reminded him, over and over again today.  This evening she said, "Josh!  I asked you THREE TIMES today to put in my fan!".  Poor Josh.. 

I am obsessed with Pinterest for recipes.  I would be so sad if Pinterest somehow vanished because I have so many recipes saved on there, and no where else.  I really should invest a couple hours in printing them off so I have a back-up.   Tonight I made crockpot French Dip sandwiches, for my second time.  With HD Beef Works beef, naturally (literally).  Here's the recipe. 

Here is Josh's, with provolone cheese. 

And here is mine.  Sans cheese, and with onions.  Num.   (And not too shabby pictures, aye?  I am digging my new lens).  

I am SO excited to have this entire week off, with my children!  We have tons of fun things planned. Blessings on your week! 

3 comments:

modernchemistry said...

whit, your pictures are looking SO great! enjoy the week off with your lovely family. :)

April said...

amazing pictures, girl! i'm jealous!! my fave is of Max in the swing with his feet out.
and congratulations on a successful Operation!

SM said...

Your photo of that sandwich makes my mouth water. I'm going to have to make them soon!!!