Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Haiti

My heart aches for Haiti. Josh and I took a mission trip to the Dominican Republic, which borders Haiti, in March 2008 and witnessed first hand the poverty that rampages the country. We were told that Haiti is even worse.

70% of the Haitians live on less than $2.15 per day.

Think about that.

You and I spend $2.15 without even batting an eye. Forget about our daily expenses for our mortgage, car payments, etc. Just consider the daily coffee, or the snack, or the box of brownie mix that we pick up at Target. I can't even comprehend the majority of citizens living on less than $785/year.

We can help. Josh and I plan on donating money to HOPE International (www.hopeinternational.org). It's a fantastic organization that truly gets at the root of the issues that cause poverty-- teaching men how to fish, instead of giving them fish. They have a huge presence in Haiti and will help these precious brothers and sisters in Christ get back on their feet.

In addition to that donation, we will donate $5 for every comment left on my blog between now and Saturday at 9AM.

So, show us the love, people.

7 comments:

Janeal said...

I'm proud of both you and Josh. We can make a difference.

Angela said...

Great post Whitney & Josh, thank you for the reminder of how blessed we are. I will log on to Hope International today and make a donation.

Annie Docken said...

Jeff and I are making a donation as well that we know goes directly 100% to the country. We pray that the right people can get the right needs into the country quickly.

Anonymous said...

Showing you the love! Way to go Josh and Whitney. I'm so proud of you guys.

Anonymous said...

PS. That last one was from me (Melanie) but I guess I forgot to leave my name. (Does that mean $10 for 2 posts? JK)

Unknown said...

Yay Whit!! Great idea! Jake's sister Emily was in Haiti giving medical care the week after Christmas. This has hit her and Jake's entire family very hard. I am proud of you guys for your donations!!!

SM said...

I missed your deadling for the extra $5 but I applaud your efforts. We have a guy at our church who travels to Haiti frequently and he has given us reports that are heartbreaking. We CAN make a difference and right now they need our money. Thanks
Sue