Thursday, March 25, 2010

Money tree


I agree that we need a change in healthcare. But I'm not an overall fan of the healthcare bill. I actually dislike portions of it quite a bit. Like using federal funding for abortions (yes, yes, I know that Obama signed that Executive Order to ban federally funding abortions but it doesn't mean anything. If it did, it would have been put into the actual bill. Watch.) when the government should be protecting the innocent lives (you may remember that I believe that life begins at conception. I saw my 11 month old's tiny heart beating when I was 6 weeks 2 days pregnant). I also don't agree that adults should be treated as children until they are 26 years old. And I don't believe everyone should be required to own health insurance- it really seems like government is becoming huge with that one. And last but not least, I don't believe the government should be spending trillions of dollars.


Forget about a trillion. How much is a billion? Can you grasp it?


A billion seconds ago it was 1979.


A billion minutes ago Jesus was almost alive. It was 109 AD.


A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the stone age.


A billion days ago no one walked on earth on two feet.


A billion dollars ago was only 4 hours and 10 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it (pre-healthcare bill).


Phew..

2 comments:

Chris said...

I understand abortion is a very personal topic for many people but with the executive order this bill goes further towards protecting your money from paying for abortions than most commercial insurance plans offered through employers. Almost any plan I have had through an employer has covered legal abortions as part of it's coverage.

Do you not agree that any adult should be covered under their parents insurance? Or just the new 26 year old limit? Is it your thought that once a person is 18 he/she should be responsible for purchasing their own insurance whether they decide to go to college or begin working? Personally, I don't have an issue with this because most young adults are relatively healthy at that age and the cost to keep them on a policy is usually small.

Finally, I realize mandating that citizens purchase a product from a for-profit company isn't ideal. However, without a public option there really is no other choice. If a young adult (or older adult) doesn't carry insurance and gets in an accident or gets diagnosed with an expensive disease that cost is passed on to everyone else (assuming they have no means to pay their large medical bills).

The cost of this new law will be huge, but I'm happy that there is at least an effort to raise revenue and cut spending (mostly from Medicare advantage). I don't know if this will be enough (as the administration states) but in my opinion, this is better than spending without any plan of covering the cost.

I love debating health care. The US health care system has SO many moving parts that there is very that isn't controversial.

Whitney said...

I agree there are lots of problems with healthcare and there needs to be a change; there are just components that I do not like.

I think 26 is too old- if it were up to me, it would be 22.

I am the first to admit I don't know a large amount about it! But I have been following it quite a bit on TV and in the New York Times. It's terrible to see the violence that is coming from it.