Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thoughts on Religion

I love Easter. I love everything about it. I would love it even a bit more if Target gave us Good Friday or the Monday after off. Even so, I think the 45 minutes that I am in church service at Hosanna on Easter is my favorite 45 minutes of the ENTIRE year. Except for 2009, maybe. I would say 5:17PM to 6:02PM on April 25th was probably my favorite 45 minutes in 2009, but generally speaking, my favorite moments of the year is the Easter church service.

With that said, at no other time of the year am I more certain that I am not religious than during the Lent season.

I am a believer in and follower of Jesus Christ. He is my heart’s desire and the love of my life. But I strongly feel that I am not religious.

Religion is man-made. When Jesus was alive, he wasn’t religious. He was the “I AM”. The Alpha and the Omega. The human kind has created the religions we know today and the customs, requirements, and practices associated with them.
In high school I attended a non-denominational church. Before Josh and I got married, he converted from Catholicism after much prayer and consideration. Going from a traditional Catholic church to a more contemporary Lutheran church was an easier adjustment than going to a non-denominational church, so that is what we did.

The church we adore now is Lutheran but is considering leaving the ELCA because of a recent decision made by the organization. When people ask me what religion I am, I answer “Lutheran” but I want (and will begin) to say, “I’m a Christian” or “I’m a follower of Jesus”.

I don’t know why it bothers me so much, but I just have a hard time with following a religious practice just because the religion suggests or requires it. Take, for example, not eating meat on Fridays during Lent. If not eating meat on Fridays is done because it is a sacrifice, strengthens their relationship with Jesus and allows the person to identify even in the tiniest amount with the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus made, then I think that’s great. But if it doesn’t mean anything spiritually to the person, then I just don’t get it! I also don’t understand why I was told publicly at a Catholic church once that I was not welcome to take communion because I believed that the bread and wine symbolized Jesus and was not literally his flesh and blood. I want to go to church every Sunday. I enjoy worshipping in this environment (although I believe worship can happen anytime and anywhere), learning through the biblically-based teaching, and being amongst followers. But I don’t believe that attending or not attending church every Sunday has a bearing on my salvation. These are just my beliefs! I am not saying they are the right beliefs! I know some people that read my blog have different beliefs and I am not saying that you are wrong. This is just what I believe.

I understand the value and importance of traditions. I enjoy celebrating the birth of Jesus on Christmas Day, even though he may not have actually been born on December 25th. But I am not religious. And I need to simmer down sometimes and not get worked up over religious practices that I don’t understand.

An event happened recently that caused these frustrations and feelings to surface.

This is kind of an abrupt end but I am finishing my lunch break so I must get back to work! Just wanted to process these thoughts!

Have a great day. I’m looking forward to date night tonight with Josh- even though it’s just dinner at Burnsville center (we’re going to try Al Ezteca (sp?)) and a class at National Camera Exchange!

2 comments:

Barry said...

Two thoughts...

Regarding fish on Fridays. I'm not 100%, but I've heard theories that back in the day when Christians abstained from meat all week, fish was exempt. It was because fishermen were having a hard time competing against red meat and lobbied the Church for exemption so they wouldn't lose (and may even gain) business. Kinda gives you pause when you consider all the traditions in our lives...

Second, I hear you about the religious tradition vs. faith. My only church experience as a kid was at release time once a week. I always felt closer to God in the BWCA, or flying all alone on a nice day, or or at family reunions. I guess that's just how I grew up knowing God; in the appreciation of life's blessings.

SM said...

A young girl was recently asked to leave a Catholic school because her parents were both women. I cannot imagine Jesus turning away a child because of the sexual orientation of her parents. I think some of these "religions" need to ask themselves "What would Jesus do". What is happening in the ELCA makes me very sad. I grew up in the Lutheran faith and now would not be welcome there because of my sexual orientation. That is so very sad. Thanks for your thoughts. It made me stop and think. I know that Jesus loves me no matter what and I will be welcome in Heaven if I accept him as my savior. No matter what.
Sue