Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Heavy Heart

Tonight I have a heavy heart. 

My co-worker Chad's wife passed away last night, after an 8 year battle with colon cancer.  Chad is the nicest man you could ever meet and I am so sad for his family.  He has two daughters- a junior in high school and a sophomore in college.  Over Labor Day weekend, just a couple weeks ago, Chad and his wife, Kay, moved their daughter into her college dorm.  And just last Tuesday they both attended their other daughter's volleyball game.  I cannot imagine losing my mom at that age.  And now, as a mother (and especially of a daughter), I can't imagine how she felt knowing that she would never go wedding dress shopping with her daughters, or see them walk down the aisle, or watch them become a mother themself.  It's so tragic.  Josh and I are going to the visitation Friday night.  Josh knows Chad from work too. 

Furthermore, we have found a new home for our beloved puppy, Sydney.  I have cried (or been on the verge of tears if not crying) so much that I am just wiped out.  It's not an easy decision, and it's one that Josh feels stronger about than me.  Sydney was our first baby and we have loved sharing our lives with her the past 5.5 years.  We have joked that she is a little version of Marley.  She's playful, rambunctious, cuddly, loveable, sweet, mischevious, naughty, energetic, loving..... all wrapped up into a 15 pound little being.  My good friends Laurie and Andrew still tease me about something I said a few years ago regarding Sydney...."I just love her more and more every single day".  She is a family member and I feel like we are just deserting her.  She is just not that good with little kids and we don't want to risk an unfortunate accident with Claire, our son, or Brody.  The entire family is taking this hard.  My mom cried today when I broke the news.  Later, she told Brad and they both cried.  I spoke with Chris this evening and he was having a very rough time too.  He even wants to spend Friday afternoon with Sydney if she's moving away this weekend.  I just can't imagine life without her as a companion.  I am sad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad for you guys. I remember very well the day we lost Weiser, the only pet I've ever gotten close to. I miss his unconditional love, and I will miss Sydney's welcome each day. Mono/Annie

SM said...

I'm very sorry about your coworker. Events like this remind us (at least I hope so) that life is a gift and we need to cherish every day. What a tragedy for her family and friends.
I'm also sad for your situation with Sydney. What a difficult choice you had to make. Life is not easy and it is not fair, but God is there with us every step of the way. Great Aunt Sue

Anonymous said...

I am so sad to hear about your news about Sydney. She is such a sweet dog & the first ( & pretty much only) dog that Matthew has ever bonded with. If only we lived closer.....

The news about your co-workers wife is so heartbreaking! I cannot imagine......

Loriann