Monday, January 3, 2011

Why I Work

"The decision to have a child is momentous- it is to forever decide to have your heart walk outside your body".  (I forget who said it).

Three weeks from today I'll be returning to work.  I knew from my experience with my last maternity leave that it would go way too fast-- and it did.  I have truly loved every moment with my little loves (okay, maybe not every moment- but close!).  It wasn't a walk in the park.  It was a heck of a lot more work than my leave with Claire.  But it was wonderful.  And I am so, so sad it is ending. But before I get all woe is me, I decided to reflect on the positive reasons why I work.  Here they are (I'm sure this isn't all inclusive, as I'm trying to think and type quickly because I suspect both kiddos will be waking up from their naps soon!).

1) Ministry
Ministry isn't just for Pastors, people. I believe that I perform ministry every day of my life.  Seeing that I spend almost 2/3 of my waking time at work, I certainly hope and believe I do ministry there too.  If those I work with closely (or maybe not so closely too) don't know where my hope lies, then I am simply failing.  Here are some biblical insights on work:
  • New Testament – Of Jesus’ 132 public appearances in the NT, 122 were in the marketplace / workplace.
  • Of 52 parables Jesus told, 45 had a workplace context. Of 40 divine interventions recorded in Acts, 39 were in the marketplace / workplace.
  • Jesus spent his adult life as a carpenter until age 30 before he went into a preaching ministry in the workplace. Jesus called 12 workplace individuals, not clergy, to build His church.
  • Work is Worship - The Hebrew word "Avodah" is the root for the word from which we get the words work and worship.
  • Work in its different forms is mentioned more than 800 times in the Bible, more than all the words used to express worship, music, praise, and singing combined.
  • “54% of Jesus’ reported teaching ministry arose out of issues posed by others” in the scope of daily life experience. – Lewis and Lewis, LICC
2) Providing for my family
We simply cannot afford for me to not work.  My working allows us to live a very comfortable life.  We have a beautiful house, two safe, reliable, nice vehicles, we can go out to eat occassionally, and buy some fun toys once in awhile.   By working, we'll be able to take our kids to Disneyworld someday, enroll them in soccer and dance, buy them a trumpet for the 4th grade band.  Our kids will also live a comfortable life.

3) Teaching Claire and Max
My mom was always a working mom and I am so proud of what she accomplished.  She never missed a band concert, a parent/teacher conference, and she always drove us to our many activities almost every night of the week.  I don't remember ever feeling like my daycare provider "raised" me.  She was my mom.  And I learned from her that women can be strong, independent individuals that are every bit as successful and intelligent as men.  This knowledge is what I hope to instill in Max and Claire as well. 

4) Stimulation
I like my job.  I like Target.  I like using my brain and making strategic decisions that have a real financial and/or operational impact (the work that the team of 6 I manage did this year saved Target over $17 million!).  I like putting my extensive education to use.  I enjoy my co-workers and boss. 

So, return to work I will.  And I will miss my babies more intensely than I will be able to describe.  But I know that this is what is necessary and best for my family!  They'll be in good hands. 

2 comments:

Annie Docken said...

thank you:)

Unknown said...

Very nicely put, Whitney. You're a great mom.