Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Philosophies

I know what you're thinking.  This lady is blogging about sleep again!   Yes, yes I am.  I promise I'll throw some other subjects in once in awhile too, but right now sleep is sort of the hot topic in our lives.

After my last post when I was so hopeful, Max had another terrible night and soon found himself swaddled up again.  Last night was the best night we have had in quite awhile and he was still up 9 times.  It was 5 times between 7:30-9:30PM (when we went to bed), and then 1:30, 2:30, 5:00 and 5:30.  I actually woke up feeling refreshed today!  

I came across this quote on a parenting forum I frequent a few days ago.  

"Don't stand unmoving outside the door of a crying baby whose only desire is to touch you.  Go to your baby. Go to your baby a million times. Demonstrate that people can be trusted, that the environment can be trusted, that we live in a benign universe."  Peggy O'Mara, Editor, Mothering magazine


That's where my heart is right now.  Hearing my Pediatrician suggest we put Max in the basement at night so that we and Claire can't hear his crying went against all of my mothering instincts.  We did sleep train with Claire and I think there is certainly a time and a place for that.  But my gut tells me now is not the time with Max.  He's still learning attachment and trust and I want him to know that he can count on us to be there for him.  

No comments: