Monday, December 17, 2012

My thoughts on Sandy Hook (and others who say it much better)

I have been profoundly affected by the horror that took place at Sandy Hook, like any other parent, I'm sure.  The worst for me is at night.  I can't look at the pictures of those precious children anymore. They look so familiar.  I imagine, with just the very limited ability that I can, what it would feel like to be the mother of Emilie or Jessica or Dylan.  The grief gives me physical pain and I realize this is just one billionth of the pain that those parents feel.

To me, the most common themes since the massacre appear to be:

1) Gun control
2) Mental illness
3) God

I agree we need to address gun control.  I think we need better gun control, but that is just part of the problem, or the solution, as it should be.   That's pretty much the extent of the Democrat in me. :)

I also agree that we need to address the lack of resources for those individuals and families struggling with mental illnesses.  This article, titled, "I am Adam Lanza's Mother" was so chilling, it kept me awake for part of last night.  Jail is not the answer to mental illness.

Third, and not surprisingly, the topic of God continues to be at the forefront. Did God abandon those children?  Did God cause this?  Did God not stop the attack because we have shut him out of our schools? Is there even a God, because what kind of God would allow for 20 little souls to be stripped from their parents days before Christmas?

The question of "why bad things happen to good people" is a tough one, to say the least.  I have always struggled with my own perspective on this and with having thoughts to share with others. This post, "The Gospel and Newton", is the best biblically-based explanation I have ever read.  I am so grateful to have stumbled upon this blog post.  I learned more theology in the 10-15 minutes I spent carefully digesting the post than I have in several years.  I highly encourage you read it.

I also thoroughly enjoyed this article, "God can't be kept out".  Worth your read. She said it a hundred times better than I could.

I believe God's tears were the first that were shed. His heart is shattered.  He didn't will for that massacre to occur.  God didn't just need more angels in Heaven.  Those children need to be with their parents.  Probably more so, those parents need to be with their children.  Parents should never bury their children, but God knows what that feels like too.

I pray that this is a turning point in our history.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel the same way, Whitney. There are no words. Thank you for sharing the link to the other blog post - I'll take the time to read it this week while I'm off. I pray for those families today, and my heart is heavy as I feel for them. Merry Christmas and blessings to you and your sweet family.