Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Price

We didn't even know that we needed him.  After struggling through a miscarriage and a number of rounds of fertility treatments, we were enjoying our new little family of three.  As you know, we were literally shocked when we learned that another life was growing within me.  We didn't know that we needed him, but God did.

When Max was a newborn, I reflected a great deal on how much of an impact having a newborn baby boy at Christmas time had on me.  That year, Christmas became more than a story to me. The weight of the price that was paid became more real in my heart, and I felt a glimmer of the weight in my arms, literally, as I held my own newborn baby boy and reflected on how Mary must have felt, doing the same, but knowing that her son had come to save the world.


Photobucket


I wonder if God knew that not only did we need this son, but that we needed him at that very time. At Christmas.

Today we braved the snow and nasty roads to go to church. Max did surprisingly well in his class- he didn't even cry!  The first thing Claire said when we picked her up was, "Did Maxy cry today? Did he do okay?"  When I told her that he did great, she said, "It must be because he's two now!"

The message was on Joseph.  I didn't realize before today that there is not one recorded word from Joseph in the New Testament. Yet, his compassion and mercy spoke volumes.

They showed a filmed parody of a modern-day Dad, getting in the character of Joseph for a play.  He roamed the streets of Minneapolis, in his beard and cloak.  He scared his elementary age son when he made his son tell him, "There is no room for you at the inn". "WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE IS NO ROOM?!  YOU JUST WANT MY WIFE TO HAVE A BABY OUTSIDE?! HOW IS THERE NO ROOM FOR US?!?!".

They showed three short clips of this modern-day Dad, dressed as Joseph, and the third clip made both me and Josh cry, but we were in good company as I heard a lot of sniffles surrounding me.  I thought for a second there was an apple in my throat and my tears came more freely when I glanced over at Josh and saw a couple tears fall from his eye.

In the clip, the modern-day Joseph walked into the living room, where his wife was holding their baby son. He had his get-up on and said he was ready to go perform in the play.

He stopped...and removed his fake beard. He looked tenderly at his baby boy.

He said, "I couldn't do it".


Photobucket

"Do what?", his wife asked.

"I couldn't do it.  I couldn't give up my son."


Photobucket

"The world would be out of luck".  

That was the price. It's amazing to think about.



*****************************************************************************
In other news, how much worse is snow once you're an adult?! (and have a nasty commute?) Although, Max isn't too fond of it either.  Of course, our snowblower wouldn't start today. And I'm dreading my 2+ hour commute tomorrow, so I may just work from home!


Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Josh got on my case for taking pictures and not putting Max out of his misery sooner.  Me? I think these pictures were well worth a minute of torture. :)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thank you for your post Whit. Makes me a bit sad we opted to sleep in on Sunday :-( I LOVE that we can watch on the website, which I will! I thought a lot about having a baby (although not so baby, anymore) boy when Pastor Ryan spoke about Mary. What an incredible woman. I will look forward to hearing about Joseph. What a wonderful season!