Monday, February 25, 2013

Staycation week in review

Well it was wonderful and rejuvenating and good for my soul, and now it's come to an end.  I am incredibly grateful for the past 10 days. I feel refreshed, more organized, and obsessed with my children (I still kiss them hundreds of times a day, even as I'm walking them to time-out. #mixedmessages). I can't help but be sad tonight.

I had a big to-do list for the week and got almost everything crossed off.  I organized my linen closet, pantry, desk, extra bedroom, bathroom drawers, car, and hallway closet, and gave away 16 bags worth of stuff I don't need and in some cases, forgot I even had.

I saw my broham Chris and my niece Bailey 5 out of the 6 weekdays I was off.

This week was a great change of pace for me.  I would never presume that it's easier or more difficult to be a stay at home mother or a working mother because I think it's largely dependent upon each individual's specific circumstances. But I do know that it felt really good to do the laundry, pick up the house, clean, empty the dishwasher, run errands and make dinner while I was home during the day instead of having to cram all of that into the evenings and weekends.

Here's our week in review (if you follow me on IG, you've seen some of these pictures but not all of them!):

MONDAY

We have cleaning people come once per month and they arrived two hours earlier than I expected.  Thankfully my brother was around so we stopped at his house so I could put on my make-up, eat breakfast, and see my niece before we headed to the Minnesota. Zoo (oh and both Claire and I fell on the ice, which was fun too!)
 photo DSC_0426-1_zps14e99346.jpg

We went to the zoo and met up with my best childhood friend Katie and her son Parker.  I think it was the busiest I have EVER seen the Zoo.  It was also sandbox weekend so we got cute buckets.  Fortunately, my kids wanted to get nowhere near the mass of children crammed into the massive sandbox, just as I expected!
 photo DSC_0429_zps80f5a072.jpg

We couldn't find an open table to eat our lunches so we went to Cul.vers instead.  Love any time I get to spend with Katie!!
 photo vscocam18_zps416e704e.jpg

He walks around with his hands in his coat pockets and it slays me.
 photo vscocam17_zpsb1cc0c99.jpg

After naps we made banana bread for the guests we were expecting the next day.
 photo DSC_0431_zps7e80d06e.jpg

That evening I went out for drinks and dinner with Krista, Jody, Rachel and Melissa.  Love these girls!
 photo vscocam19_zps397ea2d9.jpg

TUESDAY 

On Tuesday morning Cindy, Jessica, James, Jude, Amy, Jane, my brother Chris and Bailey came over.  Cindy is my Godmother (and the Mom of the family I visited three times in Ukraine) and I have been friends with Jessica (Cindy's daughter) and Amy since I was four years old (well, Jessica since I was five because she is five years younger than me!).  We had a wonderful time catching up.  Cindy and her husband Paul will be spending the month of March in Moldova.  They will be there on behalf of HOPE International but Cindy is also feeling called to work on the cause of human trafficking, which is an enormous issue in Moldova.
 photo DSC_0434-1_zps07ff83aa.jpg

 photo DSC_0436_zpsd4d636b6.jpg

That evening, Everleigh joined Claire at her gymnastics class because it was 'bring a friend' week! Those two are the sweetest together!
 photo vscocam21_zps333aa0ce.jpg

WEDNESDAY

We met my dad, Chris and Bailey for lunch on Wednesday.
 photo vscocam23_zpse0405258.jpg

That evening I made a full turkey and potatoes meal for my mom and Brad.  It was delicious.
 photo DSC_0441_zpsbf19e15a.jpg

The kids had a ton of fun playing "duck duck grey duck" and "I spy" with Nana and Grandpa Brad.  When they were leaving, Max looked up sweetly and said, "I love you Grandpa Brad".  All on his own initiative!  It was one of the most precious things ever.
 photo DSC_0442_zpsb317529f.jpg

THURSDAY

On Thursday we met my mom, Chris, and Bailey for lunch at Old Chicago (my mom was working from home that day).  The kids were so well-behaved that it was actually a relaxing meal!
 photo vscocam25_zps9cf3813e.jpg

Max is left-handed, which I find interesting.
 photo DSC_0522_zps3990dcb7.jpg

After naps, we finger-painted and colored.
 photo DSC_0528_zpse399aed1.jpg
Look at that sweet tongue.
 photo DSC_0526_zpsedd15416.jpg

FRIDAY

We braved the snowy roads Friday morning to drive Daddy to his bus stop, so that he could take the train to the Mall of America to meet up with us after work.  A couple hours later, we braved the roads again to go to Melissa's house for a playdate with Carson and Kate.  Carson and Claire are only days apart but he's probably a foot taller!
 photo vscocam28_zps21cc8a3e.jpg

After naps, the kids and I went to the Mall of America.  Is it sad that my two year old knows the names of different malls?  "Are we going to Burnsville Center or Mall of America, Mommy?", he asked me.
 photo vscocam29_zpse29dec88.jpg

It just so happened that the Farmer family (Brad's daughter) arrived an hour later, to celebrate Cambrie's third birthday!!  Claire is very afraid of even walking into the amusement park in the mall because it's too loud and overwhelming.  Before that day, she wouldn't have even thought about going on the rides, but she mustered up a lot of courage and joined Cambrie on FOUR different rides!  I was so proud of her.

Here is Shayla and I with Cambrie and Claire.
 photo vscocam31_zps2ef05b80.jpg

Max wanted to join too and we all enjoyed the balloon ride.
 photo vscocam30_zps6dee9e5a.jpg

On Sunday, Nana and Grandpa Brad babysat the children while Josh and I went to a class at church.  Then, they blessed us with her delicious lasagna.
 photo vscocam33_zps6c980b18.jpg

MONDAY

Today was my last day. We had a good morning at home, playing, folding laundry, cleaning up, and playing some more, and then we met Chris, Bailey, and my Mom at Chipotle for lunch (my mom was working from home again and this is Chris' last week of full-time Daddy Daycare).

While we took this picture, Claire was saying "you can't take it yet, there's food in my mouth!  I have to chew it first!"  Haha, she's so polite.
.  photo vscocam37_zps0cc05844.jpg

After naps, we went to Sara's house to have a playdate with her, Rachael and Allison.  It turned into a happy hour!  So much fun.  The kids LOVE Sara's house because the kids are wonderful and their basement is like an amusement park, with an actual blow-up jumpy house, 15-foot or so long roller-coaster type thing, trampoline, etc.

 photo vscocam36_zpsad92e043.jpg

I'd like to do another full week off sometime this summer, perhaps in August.  I love the extended time with my children.  It was blissful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We really did have a fun happy hour! And you packed a lot into that week - I'd say you live a full life. See you soon :)

Bonnie Liebelt said...

You make a "Staycation" look like fun!