Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The evolution of language

It truly is amazing to see how language develops.  This is an example of how a single request has changed for Claire in one year:

18 months: "more milk"
2 years: "more milk please Mommy"
2 1/2 years: "No, Mommy.  I don't want milk. I want wa-wa (water) instead of milk"

Now Claire uses the words "instead", "otherwise", "actually", "kind of", in the proper context.

She says things like, "oh that's a bummer" and "that's kind of crazy!" to describe situations or emotions.

This morning Josh and I were whispering while discussing the large hive on her cheek (which is another entire story). She came up to us and whispered, "what are you talking about, guys???"

When Max cries, she says, "I think Max is crying because he wants his Mommy.  Do you want your Mommy, Max?  Go get her!  Go see your Mommy".

Last Saturday Claire and I were heading out the door to get haircuts at our neighbors house.  She called out to Josh, "Bye Daddy! I'm going to get my haircut!  I'll be RIIIIIIIIIGGGHHHTT back!  Okay, bye! Don't be sad!"

Last night the water was boiling over onto the stove when I was making rice (can't wait to hopefully get the rice cooker that I put on my Christmas/Birthday list :)).  She said, "Shit! Rice! Shit!"  I told her not to say that word.  She said, "Okay, shoot the boot!  Shoot the boot!"

Literally, just a year ago she was saying one or two word phrases.  I'm just in awe of how language develops in young children.  Not a day (heck, even hour!) goes by that she doesn't make me smile with the things she says!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Too funny! She is definitely impressive with her vocabulary!

LaVerne said...

Where did she learn "Shoot the Boot"? That is great.

SM said...

Ooops. That was Sue who commented about Shoot the Boot, not LaVerne. I was signed in as mom fixing her email account.